The North Shore Disability Resource Centre (NSDRC) provides programs and services for people with disabilities. We believe that everyone should be able to participate as active members of their community – communities that value inclusion are committed to creating opportunities for all.
The Community Based Services department is currently seeking a qualified/experienced Employment Specialist to work 24 hours per week.
START DATE: IMMEDIATELY
• Complete participant intakes.
• Provide functional assessments/needs determination.
• Assist participants to develop and implement an employment plan.
• Assist participants in the career decision making process.
• Survey employment abilities, transferable skills, values and interests.
• Identify and assess employment barriers, needs, and external issues.
• Review assessments and reports as necessary.
• Assess and support the participant’s internal/external support network.
• Assist job seekers with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, and interview skills. Conduct modules on career development and facilitate job club activities.
• Assess need for assistance from additional support services or systems and make referrals
• Confer with the Director of Community Based Services to identify employers who match the job seeker’s interests and abilities, whether through supported or customized employment approaches.
• Prepare job seekers for, and support them during the interview process, if requested
• Liaise with employer to facilitate an effective orientation and employment success.
• Assist with onsite training, as needed, in order to facilitate independent competency. Develop strategies to integrate the job seeker into the workforce, including integration in the workplace team and culture.
• Provide follow-up to job seekers and their employers and, where required, identify and address the need for modifications and/or accommodations at the worksite.
• Ensures service standards to job seekers to reflect funding, organizational and legal expectations.
• Promotes cooperation and communication between job seekers, families, advocates, volunteers, community agencies, vocational placements, and professional support staff
• Ensures that job seekers are actively and respectfully included in all aspects of their transition to employment.
• Advocates for the job seeker’s desires and choices.
• Support job seekers to obtain and maintain paid employment.
• Acts as liaison with the community and promotes community involvement.
• Graduate or certificate/diploma in human sciences or combination of education and experience in employment counseling OR experience in business.
• Knowledge of Employment Standards Act.
• Knowledge of Charter of Rights.
• Knowledge of people with disabilities.
• Knowledge of the local labour market and employment opportunities
• Be able to work independently and within a team.
• Must be flexible based on the needs of the participant/employer and will include weekends and evenings.
• Ability to provide job training and work effectively with others in a wide variety of work environments.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good computer skills (using databases).
Criminal Record Search
Current First Aid (level B or higher)
Negative TB Test or clear chest x-ray
Medical doctors note of good health
*Valid BC Driver’s License, Driver’s Abstract, and a car for business use needed*
Date Posted April 10th, 2019